Pirates - and Talk Like A Pirate Day - in the media & elsewhere
(Check our TLAPD 2011 calendarrrr for more)
- Our CPFAPPWA Dave Barry blogged like a pirate all day long.
- The Philadelphia Inquirer has a great story about the pirate skirmish aboard the Tall Ship Gazela
- Wired magazine's Danger Room: How to Talk Like A Pirate in His Native Somali
- History.com, the History Channel's Website, ran a great feature comparing historical pirates to the modern mythic version, and even providing an historic glossary of such phrases as "shiver me timbers"!
- The National Geographic: "Talk Like a Pirate Day" Busted: Not Even Pirates Spoke Pirate" (we coulda told 'em that...)
- The Californian writes about a pirate dog and his person who spent TLAPD cheering patients at a Salinas hospital
- Pittsburgh Morning Sun - Great little feature about a grade-school TLAPD event.
- The New York Times Monday Crossword for Sept. 19 had several pirate-related clues. (Answers here - don't peek if ye want to work the puzzle yerself!)
- ABC Action News in Tampa got in on the TLAPD action. Here's a clip of their morning anchor attemptin' the lingo.
- The Pirate Guys were interviewed by
- Gold Radio Network, UK
- WSWR Mansfield Ohio, Ed Gutchall
- Ross Brittain "Mornings, 98.1" WOGL-FM /Philadelphia, The Ross Brittain Report
- Y106 Indiana Tonya Haze
- CBS Radio
- Perth Australia, 6PR Perth (live Sept. 18.)
- MORE FM Auckland New Zealand
- Australian Broadcast Corp Radio, Ballarat Australia
- 2GB radio in Sydney, Australia's No. 1 radio station
- Jim Polito, News Talk 580AM/94.9FM Paxton, MA
- Bill and Marla on KEZR the mix
- Good Morning Sacramento, KOVR Sacto television,
- KGO Radi News in S.F.
- ABC Radio Perth
(Check the TLAPD 2010 calendarrrr for more)
- Dozens of fans jumped on e-mail in early February to tell us that one of the characters in the popular CBS series NCIS mentioned having attended a Talk Like A Pirate Day Party (in Masquerade, originally aired Feb. 1, 2010).
- Fan Sarah L. reports "I have just taken down my new 2010 Simpsons Fun Calendar, to add in
Talk Like a Pirate Day, and found it is already printed on the
- Eric Swirsky spotted a reference to ITLAPD on a Nantucket Nectars bottlecap liner!
- The morning of International Talk Like A Pirate Day 2009, "pirate day" was the no. 1 trending topic on Twitter, and half the top 10 was pirate-related:
- 10. Burnley
- 9. Good Morning
- 8. #iranelection
- 7. Avast
- 6. Jennifer's Body
- 5. Ahoy
- 4. Talk Like a Pirate
- 3. Selemat Hari Raya
- 2. Jay-Z
- 1. Pirate Day
- Major media covering the day in 2009, with interviews from the Pirate Guys, included
- It seems the founders of Talk Like a Pirate Day have somehow become Legitimate News Sources. At least the venerable Wall Street Journal seems to think so when they called - and quoted - Cap'n Slappy back in April for a front-page story about Somali Pirates.
- Speakin' of Talk Like A Pirate Day turning up in odd places, by Ol' Chumbucket's count the holiday has been featured in:
- A question in Trivial Pursuit
- An answer on Jeopardy
- A question on Hollywood Squares
- Two quotes on NPR's Wait Wait Don't Tell Me
- While we can't take credit for it, we raised a mug o' rum at the news in June that Sweden's small but hearty Pirate Party (no, the other kind of party) garnered enough votes to win a seat on the European Union Parliament.
(check the TLAPD08 page and the Pirate Guys' interviews and appearances for more news. We get fan mail, too!)
We don't hear of most of these till after the fact, so this list will grow once the Webwench has a chance to sit down and do some serious Googling, but here's what we've heard about so far:
Print media (and associated blogs):
- St. Augustine (Fla.) Record (front page, above the fold, on Sept. 19!)
- Miami (Fla.) News-Times
- The Anniston, Ala. Star ran a column on Talk Like A Pirate Day by Harvey H. Jackson of the History and Foreign Languages program at Jacksonville State University
- St. Petersburg (Fla.) Times
- Jimmy Orr's VoteBlog at the Christian Science Monitor rewrites recent presidential campaign commercials in pirate.
- Miss Conduct, the manners columnist at the Boston Globe, translates Emily Post into pirate
- TechDigest blogs like a pirate (with content mostly cribbed from this site - not that we mind...)
- The Big Blog at the Seattle PI posts and runs a nice picture of some Sea Faire Pirates
- Chicago Sun-Times sportsblogger Kyle Koster asks Arrrr you ready for Talk Like A Pirate Day?
- MacWorld's iPhone Central blogs about the new AyePhone app
- NationalPost's foodblog, The Appetizer, Suggests Talk Like A Pirate, Drink Like A Fish
- The International Business Times
- Atlanta Journal-Constitution
- Los Angeles Times
- The Detroit Free Press
- Newspost Online from Baroda, India
- Newsday's Pet Rock: The Pop Culture Blog
- The Grand Rapids (MI) Press
- The Inquirer, that merry UK scandal-sheet
- Thaindian, the news service from Thailand, tries to make sense of TLAPD
- The Melbourne Inquisitr (which calls our site "archaic as a gentleman o' fortune." Well, yeah... we're all about the content, mates, not the bells & whistles)
- The Idaho Statesman
- Forebes' Digital Download column
- The East Valley Tribune (Phoneix, AZ)'s Nerdvana blogs about TLAPD
- Australia's news.com.au
- (more to come)
Web mentions are here.
We're everywhere: International Talk Like A Pirate Day
has truly entered the mass media lexicon. Practically every media reference
to the 2007 "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie mentioned the holiday,
numerous museums around the US referred to TLAPD as part of a rash of
pirate exhibits, we're informally affiliated with pirate festivals all
over the world, and we get new Google Alerts to TLAPD references in the
news weekly. Here are just a few of the latest media hits:
A fan reports that in a Sept. 18 concert at New York City's Madison Square
Garden, Jimmy Buffett acknowledged "Talk Like A Pirate Day"
several times, followed by a few, "Arrrghs!"
On the Sept. 19 Today Show, Our Close Personal Friend (And Pulitzer Prize-Winner)
Dave Barry, appearing to talk about his new book, Dave Barry's History
of the Millennium (So Far).got
host Al Roker to talk like a pirate. Later in the day, on
NPR's Talk of the Nation, he and host Neal Conan talked like pirates
for a bit, too. We can always count on Dave.
Craig Ferguson opened
his Sept. 19 Late Late Show by announcing it was a great day for America
- because it was Talk Like A Pirate Day!
Fox & Friends
(on Fox News) opened their Sept. 19 broadcast with a mention of "National
Talk Like a Pirate Day" complete with a voice over doing an "Arrr
Our musical mate Tom Smith, who penned the Official
TLAPD Song, got blogged
by his hometown paper, the Ann Arbor News...
News Service featurized th' day on News Of the Weird, and their reporter
did it all pirate-like, by cribbin' straight from this site an' making
it look like he talked to us.
PC Magazine provided a
list of "10 Mighty Pirate Gadgets" for technogeeks in honor
The Cartoon Network once again celebrated with a day of pirate-themed
The History Channel rebroadcast pirate specials for TLAPD.
Photographer Mary Schwalm offers some
great photos from the Salem Pirate Faire.
How-To features the Pirate Guys demonstrating how to ... Talk Like
features a long interview with the Pirate Guys and Mad Sally
Coast publication features an article by the Pirate Guys on incorporating
pirattitude into the classroom.
Let the cartooning begin: Doug Savage checks in with his third-annual
TLAPD series at Savage
Chickens. Because what could be better than pirate chickens?
The Baltimore Department of Public Works sends out a calendar with its
recycling and garbage pickup schedule; this year, it lists Talk Like a
Spotted on "Jeopardy," May 25, 2007: Alex Trebec: "You'll
be talking like one of these when this international holiday comes around
every September 19th!" Contestant: "What is a pirate?"
The September, 2007 issue of Reader's Digest
features Talk Like A Pirate Day (on p. 53). Says Ol' Chumbucket, "When
you've made Readers Digest, that's about as mainstream as it gets!"
- Broadcast (and podcast) interviews
- Print stories appeared in:
Diego (Calif.) Tribune
Edmond (Okla.) Sun
Detroit Free Press ran a feature about one o' our fans, Becki
Carr, mentioning her TLAP plans!
- Columbus (Ohio) Ledger and Enquirer: "Ahoy
and arrrgh and all that"
Columbian, Vancouver, Wash., wrote about pirates, pirattitude
and local re-enactors in advance of TLAPD.
- The Mercury newspaper, in Tasmania, has interviewed the guys for
a feature on TLAPD
- Maine Campus Online: "One
day that should be regarded above all others"
- PyrateCon planners celebrate
Talk Like A Pirate Day
- Fayetteville, Arkansas Democrat-Gazette
- Akron (Ohio) Beacon Journal
- The Brunswick News, Georgia
- The Denver (CO) Post
- Salt Lake (UT) Tribune)
- Still more media
- NPR's Morning Edition and Day to Day programs both mentioned TLAPD
on Sept. 19.
- Fox 4 News in Kansas City TLAPD ontheir No. 1-rated morning news
show. Meterologist, Don Harman, dressed up as a pirate and reported
on the schools in the area who have pirate mascots. "We played
pirate songs on the show and generally just laughed ourselves silly.
- The Sept. 19 morning show on the Stealth, KNMZ-FM, 103.7 in Alamogordo,
New Mexico was all pirate, all the time.
- WKRC-TV, Cincinnati: 7:30 p.m. on Sept. 19, 7:30pm - Host Jen
Dalton explores the Cincinnati Museum Center's "Real Pirates"
exhibit for Talk Like A Pirate Day.
- WUWM-Milwaukee Public Radio 89.7 or at WUWM.com are celebrating
TLAPD on the
Lake Effect show (available on line the afternoon of Sept. 19
- KLSDam1360, San Diego- they were talking like pirates on the Stacy
Taylor Show. Take
a listen! (The pirate talk be near the end o' the episode)
Rumors and reports of Sept. 19 activities. are pourin' in! If you have
any, or run across an article, Web site, blog or broadcast that mentions
Talk Like A Pirate Day - let us know!
The big news for 2006:
Ol' Chumbucket and Mad Sally, the Lusty Wench, appeared
on the season premiere of ABC's Wife Swap on Sept. 18
Ol' Chumbucket is beside himself with word-geeky glee: He
was invited to serve as guest "editor" for theTalk Like A Pirate
week edition of A
Word A Day. Subscribers can expect pirate
vocabulary-builders in their e-mail boxes all week...
are featuring Talk Like A Pirate Day in their September promotional mailings!
Long John Silver's restaurant chain once again observes
Talk Like A Pirate Day. Get a free pirate hat with yer
meal on the 19th and visit
their Web site for pirate fun.
Pirates on TV: PinchyLobster, a new media-related site,
has rounded up a list of all the pirate-related TV programming they can
find in the days leading up to Sept. 19 - including the ABC Wench
Swap episode!. Check
out their list (warning: dark text on a black background may be hard
to read; try highlighting the page to see what it says)
Blog like a pirate
- Jezebel, the Webwench, came out o' the brig (we keep her chained up
during Talk Like A Pirate Week, ye know) to do an interview
with the Yahoo! Publisher Network blog.
- Our Close Personal Friend and Pulitzer Prize Winning Author Dave Barry,
off on a book tour in the wilds of Minnesota, nonetheless took time
about the holiday he helped make happen.
Tom Smith's Song-A-Week Blog - The world's fastest filker, and the
guy who wrote the official Talk Like A Pirate Day song, has a new tune
for TLAPD 2006. Don't miss "Hey, It's Can(n)on," based on
the little-known fact that Hermione Grainger was born on Sept. 19!
Should Be Good showcases some classic pirate panels
- The Webwench's favorite Long-Haired
Wierdo applies pirattitude to the current political climate
- Balls & Walnuts lets
(ahem) Captain Morning Wood shanghai his blog for TLAPD
blogs about gear with pirattitude
Skwib - plans a whole week o' piratical posts, startin' with a lecture
from Billy Bones at Pirate University.
- The group blog Pererro will
observe Talk Like a Pirate Day not only as part of their daily column
"Today is...", but also by having their very own Pererro Pirate
(also known as Capt'n Pererro) officate posts for the day.
OpenWriting Webzine: Eric Shackle writes about The Day
RichardG, over on the Newsvine newsblog, explains TLAPD for his
Weekly Dig's "Found Footage Friday" dug up six of the
strangest pirate videos to be found on YouTube. (We feel lucky they
didn't choose one of ours!)
of Mom posted photos of her own wee pirates
of Cheese blogs about the day - with audio!
2006 Challenge Transit Yacht Race blogs like a pirate
Liz Schier, the Pirate Guys' editor at Penguin New American Library,
is the winner of
the 2006 Hotties of Publishing award sponsored by the GalleyCat blog.
We knew that all along!
News with pirattitude
(Thanks to Google Alerts
fer keepin' us on top o' the news! Here's just a sample:)
- CNN Live (live interview with the Pirate Guys)
Star Times, Texas
Ohio, Daily News
Independent (University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee)
Journal (Southern Utah University)
Costa (Calif.) Times
Creek (Mich.) Enquirer
- Sacramento Bee
- The Statesman Journal, Salem, Oregon: Salem
man might be descendant of infamous Captain Samuel Bellamy - with
on the Pirate Guys
- The Cyprus Mail in Nicosia, Cyprus, featured a column
about Talk Like a Pirate Day
quoteworthy item from The Oregonian: "Aarrr! Hoist the
Jolly Roger and salute as Oregon's own "Talk Like a Pirate"
guys get another blast of national attention. You'll be recallin' that
Ol' Chumbucket and Cap'n Slappy are the Albany duo who invented International
Talk Like a Pirate Day ... the pirate gospel will be spread even further
when Chumbucket -- aka John Baur -- and his wife, Tori "Mad Sally"
Baur, are featured on the ABC series "Wife Swap."... come
8 p.m. Monday, Sept. 18. Which is, conveniently enough, one day before
International Talk Like a Pirate Day. Be there -- or be a bilge rat!"
- An 87-year-old correspondent for OhMyNews, an international news and
entertainment site out of Korea, reports
on Talk Like A Pirate Day. Now that's pirattitude!
(California) Press-Enterprise: "Special days honor not only
the quirky, but also recognize professions. "
JewishJournal - "Ahoy, Mates - thar be Jewish pirates!"
The Scottish press caught on to the Official
The Pilot (Southern Pines, NC):
Columnist, mystery writer and sometimes country lawyer J. D. "Dusty"
Rhodes examines the pirate phenomenon
A brand-new Webcomic, "A Pirate's
Life For Me," makes its debut on Sept. 19th, naturally!
July-September: With the release of Disney's second
Pirates of the Caribbean movie, the reviewers and pundits who've just
figured out that, hey, pirates are cool couldn't seem to help
mentioning our favorite holiday. Check these reviews:
(NM) Tribune ("The "Pirates of the Caribbean"
franchise is just a portion of this perfect cultural storm, the best
of which is International Talk Like a Pirate Day (Sept. 19), one of
the most brilliant phenomena in forever.")
- The Oregonian "Here,
on the deceptively peaceful banks of the Willamette, pirates roam among
us all year long. Some pursue gold. Others slam back grog with 18th-century
gusto. Still others belt out sea chanteys in nightclubs or on street
corners. Where you or I might say, "Have a nice day," they're
likely to bellow, "Fair winds, and thanks fer yer foine pirattitude!"
- Film Australia:
" Speaking as a previous owner and bathtub mariner of the Playmobil
pirate ship and accessories, I can tell you that there’s a certain
dilated escapism that comes with all things pirate-ised; a fond response
that adventure on the high seas and its related skulduggery elicits
in people. And it’s not just me: notably, check www.talklikeapirate.com
for latest updates on International Talk Like a Pirate Day, purchase
a book on ‘Pirattitude’, or (worryingly) play Buccaneer
Bachelor. But despite this, Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black
Pearl was, in some ways, a curio as much as it was a box office event...
(Tex.) Morning News/WFAA.com
Springs (Calif.) Desert Sun
(Ga.) Creative Loafing
Fort Worth Star Telegram
- Pirate Guys interviews related to the Dead Man's Chest opening:
- The Satellite Sisters
- Chicago Tribune
- USA Today
- Portland Oregonian
- Arkansas Democrat-Gazette
- KVAL TV , Portland, Oregon
- Riverside Press Enterprise, Riverside California
- Journal Newspapers, North Seattle
- Bluefield (W. Virginia) Daily Telegraph
- Potomac Daily News, Virginia
- Eugene Weekly, Eugene Oregon
- Santa Barbara News Press, California
- CBC Radio, Vancouver, British Columbia
Other media mentions:
by Geoffrey Chaucer! (the Webwench's No. 1 favorite blog).
Free Press columnist Chris Bohjalian pays tribute to TLAPD while writing
about his town's Kids Pirate Festival.
Spot On, a European teen magazine published in Germany,
featured our Web site in its July issue in a big feature on the popularity
March 2006: Mastercard's on-line magazine, Priceless,
ran a nice feature
on our favorite pirate store, 826 Valencia in San Francisco, with
links to International Talk Like A Pirate Day.
media: Need more information? Visit
our Press Room
Fan mail for Talk Like A Pirate Day