A fortnight until International Talk Like a Pirate Day!
In this issue:
A quick note from me and Mad Sally on behalf of the whole clan, thanking you for all those good wishes and thoughts. ~ Ol' Chumbucket
TLAPDay Events Around the World
From Texas to Toulouse, Montreal to Montevideo, Nashville to the Netherlands, the world is getting set to celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day.
Here are just a few of the events scheduled all around the globe. For more, visit our Big Map o' Piratey Fun – or as we likes to call it, the Calend-Aarrr! – at http://talklikeapirate.com/piratehome.html (don't forget to scroll down, it's not right on top.)
- The Robert Louis Stevenson Museum in St. Helena, Calif., will host a holiday Pirate School for the wee nippers, beginning at 1 p.m. Sept. 19. Pirates age 5 to 10 can enjoy fun, arts and crafts. Create your own sword and hat, learn songs and shanties, explore the museum for buried treasure. What better place to celebrate than a museum devoted to the author of "Treasure Island?" Just remember the words of Billy Bones and be on the watch for "a sea-farin' man with one leg."
- Rêves Temporels will celebrate the holiday early, on Sept. 15, in Toulouse, France. "We make an big day with a Pirates's Parade in Toulouse and go to a stopover at the edge of the Garonne," they write. "We finish this day in the Pirates's tavern (at 8pm)." I don't know what a stopover is, but it sounds fun. The evening party will include "more animations, concert, and other surprises!" Learn more on the group's Facebook events page.
- In Rome (yes, THAT Rome!) Chiesa Pastafarians will celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day and Pastafarianism Sept. 19 at Viale Appio Claudio 336, Rome. Check the Facebook event page.
- Our pal Tom Mason and the Blue Buccaneers will raid Music City Roots, a live show broadcast from the Loveless Cafe, 8400 Highway 100, Nashville, beginning at 7 p.m. CST on Lightning 100 FM and simulcast on the Web. Cover price is $10, but you can watch online for free at http://musiccityroots.com/live-stream. The performance features a guest appearance by legendary Australian singer Dobe Newton, lead singer of the Bushwackers and a bit of a pirate himself. "Music City Roots, Live From The Loveless Cafe," is a weekly, two-hour radio show that revives the historic legacy of live musical radio production in Nashville.
- And of course, the Tony Award-winning Broadway show "Peter and the Starcatchers" has a Sept. 19 event they're callin' Stache Day, after Black Stache, the mustachio'd rogue played by Matthew Saldivar. If ye be in New York City on Sept. 19, and have (or can fabricate) a mustache, head down to the Brooks Atkinson Theatre Box Office (256 West 47th Street) by 10AM - the first 100 'stached pirates in line will get a free ticket to that night's show. And better yet: the three best 'staches (as judged by our Close Personal Friend and Pulitzer Prize Winning Author Dave Barry, his "Peter and the Starcatcher" co-author Ridley Pearson and Black Stache hisself - will get a pair o' seats for the performance! More information is at: http://peterandthestarcatcher.com/landing-pages/stache-day/
And there's lots, lots more. Go to the Calend-aarrr! and find a party or event near you. If there isn't one, ORGANIZE one, then let us know so we can post it!
Video Contest News
With the deadline for submissions drawing near hurry and submit yer entry in the "Make a Pirate Video for Tom Mason and the Blue Buccaneers' 'Talk Like a Pirate Day' Song with Lyrics by Ol' Chumbucket and Approved by Cap'n Slappy Video Contest." The winner of the contest (which calls on pirate-videographers to use Tom Mason's "Talk Like a Pirate Day" song as the soundtrack for a video posted on their youtube account (Go to http://talklikeapirate.com/contest.html for details) will be determined by a special panel of judges (well, mostly just us) but we'd love your feedback.
Check out these early entries:
The official deadline is Sept. 9, although there's always a chance we'll extend it.
Don't forget to stop by our Cafe Press store for the official 10th Anniversary holiday T-shirt. It's not too late to order yours! Go to http://talklikeapirate.com/booty.html.
That's all for now, but you'll be hearing from all of us at Team Pirate again soon, because the holiday is almost here!
– Ol' Chumbucket, ed.