Five Days Until Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Three Days Until the Start of Talk Like a Pirate Day Weekend!
In this issue:
Update from 2K
We told you just yesterday that 2K Games will be releasing "Sid Meier's 'Piraes!'" for the Nintendo Wii. No sooner did that announcement go out than we heard from the company with an upate. The release date has been moved up Now they say it will be released Sept. 28!
Not only that, but there's some more news coming up that we hope to be able to announce in the next few days. If you've got a Wii, you definitely want to stand by, because this news wil affect you!
Here are some Talk Like a Pirate Day online and commercial events you might want to know about. You an get the details about these and lots more events at:
TLAPDay on the Web
- New for TLAPD 2010: The first-ever Official Talk Like A Pirate Day game from QuantumAlchemist! Play this addictive little Flash-based game as Cap'n Slappy, Ol' Chumbucket, Mad Sally, Jezebel the Webwench or our mates Robert ("Cockroach") and Mercy Blair (and fair likenesses they be, too!) Great work, mates!
- Adventure Quest, a family-friendly multi-player fantasy role-playing game, has special goodies for Talk Like A Pirate Day.
- Once again, the hearties at World of Warcraft will celebrate Talk Like A Pirate Day in Booty Bay on Sept. 19. Commoners wearing pirate garb have appeared in all the world's cities with the news that the Dread Captain DeMeza and her crew have landed in Booty Bay and declared it Pirates' Day! If you are brave enough to share a drink with her, you may have what it takes to become an honorary crew member for the day. Talk to any pirate commoner to receive a costume to help you get into the spirit, then head down to Booty Bay to join in the fun.
- No details yet, but we've just heard from Dust Devil Studios, which is launching a new game -- "Zombie Pirates!" What more could you ask? It has zombies, and it has pirates!
TLAPD sales, promotions and miscellany
- Australian Photography is throwing a pirate photo contest this week, with prizes. Open to registered members only.
- Romance novelist Katharine Ashe will unveil the cover of her next pirate novel, "Captured by a Rogue Lord" (Avon books, April 2011) on Sept. 19, and giving away swag to visitor to her site that day.
- Pirates have seized the shipping lanes at Taiwan-based BDOP Cycling, an online vendor of fine bicycling goods, and are offering a one-day anmesty on shipping costs. Place an order on Sept. 19 and they'll ship it anywhere in the world - for free! (BDOP displays pirattitude year-round with their pirate dude Web logo; he's been there 365 days a year since they opened for business two years ago.
- Smartphones have all kinds of practical uses -- but suppose you get into a confrontation with a pirate at the office and you need to put him in his place? Whip out your Palm Pre Plus and fire up Pirate Insult Generator. A free app, available in the Palm App Market.
- In plenty of time for for Talk Like A Pirate Day: A new iPhone app, iArrrPirate, from RipTide Games, lets you transform anyone into a pirate. And to celebrate the launch, RipTide is giving away a $50 iTunes gift certificate to whoever makes the best tweet/photo from iArrPirate with the #iArrPirate50 hash tag by Talk Like a Pirate Day.
Talking Like a Pirate: Pointers for Beginners
For some people bantering like a buccaneer comes as naturally as falling into the ocean. It's who they are. But others are completely at sea when it comes to pirate palaver. So here are a few tips.
First -- and we can't say this strongly enough -- DO NOT use "me" instead of "I" as the subject of a sentence. "Me wants to be a pirate." That's wrong wrong wrong. That's for Talk Like a Caveman Day. Use "me" instead of "my" as the first person possessive - "I ran me cutlass through his guts." "Another round for me crew!" Get it? Good.
Second, when stuck for something piratey to say, just stick "me hearties" (not hardies, hearties) into any sentence. "Fill it with regular, me hearties!" "I'll have a pepperoni pizza, me hearties!" "I've been on hold for 20 minutes, me hearties!" Those two little words can transform anything into pirate talk, and you into a budding pirate!
Then move on to The Five As. You can see a youtube video of Slappy and meself explainin' the Fve As at:
And that's all for today. But with the holiday almost upon us, you know I'll be back soon with more information.
- Ol' Chumbucket, Ed.
Having trouble getting The Poopdeck by e-mail? Use your favorite feed
reader to subscribe
to our feed and get notified whenever a new issue is posted!