What are ye planning for
.Since Talk Like A Pirate Day fell on a Friday this year, it was a loooooong weekend of partying like pirates.Let
us know what you did , an' we'll tell the world!
This year, we're especially interested in hearing about pirate parties organized as fund-raisers for good causes; they're marked below with a special icon.
miss the photos! Send
us your own best picture - just ONE, please! (We'll also accept links to yer on-line photo gallery).
Find out what the media's saying about Talk Like A Pirate Day here.
And what the Pirate Guys themselves (and associated wenches) have been
up to here. And don't miss the fan
What happened around the world on International Talk Like A Pirate Day 2008
(The page got too long, so we've moved the party plans and all the other real-world stuff to a new page; clicking the links below will get you there)
Events supportin' good causes
On Sept. 19th:
- In the New York Times Crossword Puzzle on Sept. 19 featured In 31 across was "talklikeapirateday" and 8 down was "shivermetimbers." (Ol' Chumbucket, in particular, was wowed).
- He's at it again: Our pal Tom Smith, who penned the official Talk Like A Pirate Day song, has released a new number, "Zombie Pirates In Love" on his iTom site. Go listen. Laugh. Then give him 99 cents and buy a copy!
- Another fine new pirate song, from Stuart "Gumbo" Walker: Where's the Rum?
- Finally! Google celebrates TLAPD - not with a special logo, which we've coveted for years, but even better - a customized pirate search! And guess who's right at the top underneat the current newsclips? We're so honored... (And thanks to "unofficial" Googleblogger David Shaw fer letting us know)
- And of course, our Close Personal Friend and Pulitzer Prize Winner Dave Barry, the unofficial Godfather of Talk Like A pirate Day, blogged like a pirate all day long...
- GodHatesShrimp and TLAPD: Two great tastes that taste great together. (Thanks an' a hat-tip to Joe D.) Turns out the pirate-garbed folks are members of the Central Arkansas Pastafarians who donned their pirate garb and picked up their signs to counter-protest the odious Fred Phelps. A big Team Pirate "ARRRRRRRRR!!!" to the CAP, and all others who use their pirattitude to fight bigotry and hate.
- OK, this is officially cool: Twitter Like A Pirate - from Mars!!!
- Andrew Warner on Mixergy.com posted a great interview with the Pirate Guys about how this thing started and why it spread.
- Once again: Slashdotted
- Even the Sierra Club got in on the Talk Like a Pirate Day fun with a "How Green Is My Pirate Ship" quiz!
- Armogedan and the Sand Pirates, a pirate-themed WebTV show that runs live every Saturday night, ran special Talk Like A Pirate Weekend edition on Sept. 19 and 20.
- The more than 1,500 collectors of American Girl dolls who congregate at the AGPlaythings message forum celebrated TLAPD by switching the forum skin to a pirate theme and translating common phrases into pirate-speak, as well as encouraging photos of dolls in pirate garb.
- The Perils of the Pirate Princess - a new, free on-line entertainment site, launched on Sept. 19! "PG comic slapstick action with beautiful, strong, swordfighting women foiling putrid pirates trying to steal their booty."
- Writers' Digest, the venerable writers' press, held a Talk Like A Pirate Day sale, with discounts on selected pirate/writing titles.
- Ideas Uncharted, a new forum for imaginative creativity and idea searching,threw its first forum-wide celebration for Talk Like A Pirate Day on September 19th.
- Pirates for Breast Cancer awareness: Captain Merrydeath of the Fools Gold Pirates is selling three different designs of pins with pirattittude with profits going to support breast cancer awareness and early mammograms. The pins can be purchased for $15 each from http://www.myspace.com/piratesthinkpink
- Software pirates - but in a good way: Sunflower Learning, a UK educational software company, released a special version of its software with 10 pirate phrases hidden in it. The TLAPD edition software will be available for one week from
http://anywhere.sunflowerlearning.com/jumpstarts/pirate.html, and the first school to find all ten phrases will win a prize.
- The folks at Zazzle promoted Talk Like A Pirate Day T-shirts and other products offered by their on-line artist/vendors.
- iPhone Apps are all the rage, and there are at least two of 'em honoring The Day:
- The Font Marketplace released Captain Quill, a brand-new beauty of a pirate font, just in time for Talk Like A Pirate Day. (See a sample on our party page).
- Sept. 19 saw the launch of a new Web site, Freebootr.com, for pirates who want to recycle their plunder
- 12seconds.tv ran a speciall Talk Like a Pirate Day promotion: Record a video of yourself (your kids, your dog) talking like pirates for free on Sept. 19, and share it with your friends .
- Romance author Angelia Sparrow (yes, that be her real name) celebrated Talk Like a Pirate Day by giving away copies of her pirate novel, KESTREL ON THE HORIZON, and her short story, "Talk like a Pirate Day," to those clever enough to name real and fictional swashbucklers. See the Contest Page of her website on Sept. 19 for details:
- KYTY Kevada Superstation, a live-video Internet show set in an alternate realitiy, kicked off TLAPD with a special pirate episode. Follow this link and look "Comedy Sentral News Season 2 Episode 4"
- At the Starchat 40Plus chatroom, Sandy da CurvyPirateDJ did pirate show with chat Sandy wrote: "I'm
hoping everyone will all be wearing their Buccaneer names to celebrate
Talk Like A Pirate Day!!"
- The handy instructional site, HowToDoThings, featured tutorials on How to Be a Pirate, How To Be a Pirate Wench and (important!) How to Teach Your Parrot To Talk,
- RennShirts, a garb-making outfit, live-streamed all day long via Ustream.
- Beekeeper Crosswords once again offered a special TLAPD crossword puzzle - the old-fashioned, newspaper kind that's actually a challenge!I
- AllRecipes.com sent out a TLAPD-themed e-newsletter featuring pirate recipes and menu plans
- PlusNet, described by a subscribe as "the best ISP ever", was all over TLAPD.
- WikiHow explained How To Talk Like A Pirate, with credit to us
- Raindance.tv went pirate for the day
- Dell chimed in with a Talk Like A Pirate Weekend computer sale (and blogged about it, too)
- Greasemonkey offers a Firefox plugin to convert all your Web browsin' to pirate talk
- Shop like a pirate: Boden, an on-line clothing purveyor, ran a TLAPD promotion - eight randomly selected orders on Sept. 19 were free!
- Twitter Like A Pirate: We heard from all sorts of folks who were talking like pirates on Twitter. Since its' a social networking thingamajig, ye'll have t' find 'em yerselves.
- Really Really joisted a tankard of grog to celebrate the birthday of Robo Pirate by starting to work on a music video for the song! Avast, you can download it forrrrrrrr freeeeee
- There were whole bunch of "piratized" forums out there on The Day, including:
- NeoPets message boards
- Webring, where the folks "creating communities connecting people challenged their membership to talk like a pirate on their blogs, forums and the public shoutbox.
- International Talk Like a Pirate Day? How about Intergalactic Talk Like A Pirate Day! That's what they celebrated at Planet Zot, the cartoon/forum site.
- Upstate Forums of South Carolina have celebrated TLAPD for years; here's a link to this year's forum.
- Facebook! offered users a one-day option of piratizing their pages
Blog Like A Pirate -
- Search Engine World noted the Google story (above), and pointed out that other search engines are piratized for the day, too
- Bella Grim boarded Ginger Stick and published her drawings on TLAPD. Be warned, here lies Bad Art.
- The ChasBah empire of blogs observed TLAPD 2008 by having all entries on their two main blogs (Crawling From The USA and Radio Chas) written in pirate vernacular. In addition, a new episode of Chas' Crusty Old Wave 80s music podcast was scheduled for that day, with a pirate intro.
- Steve's (Sometimes) Pithy Ponderings runs a "Caturday" LOLCat photo every Saturday; on the 19th, Caturday came one day early with special pirate LOLCats.
- Children's book illustrator Elizabeth Dumbela loves TLAPD: "For the last two years I've gathered poems, jokes, songs, and created a coloring page for the wee little buggers and wenches to download for free.
This year will be no different - I've got a great new Pirate coloring page ready to launch on Frrrriday."
- Meowers from Missouri were all pirated up in advance of the big day, and promised more pirate cat fun through the weekend.
- thepirate.fm, a UK pirate band, will celebrate at its next gig on the 22nd; meantime, they're blogging ...
- FoodVu, the site about, well, food, chimes in with "Drink Rum for Talk Like A Pirate Day"
- Terahertz blogged like a pirate on Friday at this link.
- Sept. 19 was "Weld Like A Pirate Day" on CarmenElectrode, a blog dedicated to arc welding. We kid you not.
- Mystery/pirate writer Vicki Lane blogged like a pirate on Sept. 19th.
- An English teacher's philosophic musings about the importance of Talk LIke a Pirate Day (I'm serious)...
- If blogging is too verbose, how about Tweeting like a pirate?
- Pop Goes the Icon got pirattitude
- Even wedding bloggers love TLAPD - at least the author of AyeDo does!
- Georgetown University Law Library's blog, Due Process, promoted fair use through TLAPD.
- The SEO Pirate commentedon TLAPD posers
- Blogged by both Daily Kos and Instapundit!
- The Webwench's old pal Joseph "Cap'n Bluepen" Abbott posted a couple o' pirate pix on the Waco Tribune's "breaking news" blog.
- AppCraver blogged about the top 5 pirate apps for your iPhone, including a few we've mentioned here.
- Life at Full Volume had its annual TLAPD post up
- Top 50 Swing Voters blogged about "Pirates: Libertarians of the Sea" (shouldn't that be "libertines"? We always get those confused.)
- Making Light offered a look at a different kind of pirate
- The Daily Green (a consumer enviroblog) suggested eco-friendly ways to swab the deck
- SwanShadow considered which comic heros have "pirate in 'em"
- Indoor Gardener told how to garden like a pirate
- Corey and Lori's QuestLog Blog
- The Michigan Lawyer profiled TLAPD enthusiast Marcia Mary McBrien, the Michigan Supreme Court’s Public Information Officer.
- Log in to the meebo blog and here's what ye saw .
- Maryland sportsblogger Shell Game posts like a you-know-what
- Matt Cutts points to some nice pirate font collections
- The Bleacher Report: A tribute to Al Davis, pirate style
- StraightUp Search calls Talk Like A Pirate Day "a viral sensation"
- Full of Bees: A first-year teacher blogs, hilariously, about sneaking a little pirattitude into the daily spelling lesson
Game like a pirate
- Over at Puzzle Pirates, it's all pirates, all year long ... but Captain Countrygirly of the Devil's Crew on the Sage Ocean once again planned special goin's on for TLAPD, including free poe (pieces of eight, naturally) for those who follow this link to join the game. "And," she writes "find me in game and I'll be happy to help acclimate you to your new piraty world!"
- Second Life always seems to have lots of TLAPD action, and this year is no exception. These are just the parties we've heard of; there no doubt were many others:
- Kapitein Dutch Hoorenbeek notedthat the pirate sims of Beek Haven - who talk like pirates every day - planned a full day of activities for Sept. 19, including a mermaids' pirate hunt an various and sundry other activities "Sail on over in yer pirate or wench finest - we have freebie clothes and 25+ shops of the best in pirate."
- The roleplaying group at Paravaci (which normally does not play pirates!) threw a dance on Friday night with a "Talk Like a Pirate" theme.
- World of Warcraft: Fans tell us Cap'n Slappy and Ol' Chumbucket were spotted as NPCs in WoW this week, and one posts the screenshot to prove it. Not that they actually captured the, erm, splendor o' the real lads, mind... It was all part of a site-wide Talk Like A Pirate Day event on the exceedingly popular game.
In other Wow news:
- Kurasu writes: "On WoW there is an item called 'Savory Deviate Delight'. This delectable food does only two things: it will either transform you into a Ninja (Freak out!), or a Pirate (Yarr!). To celebrate September 19th, I am starting to lay in stacks of the stuff, and intend to give away groups of 3 in the main city. . For those interested, this will be on the Emerald Dreams (EU) server. I expect I'll run out faster than I'd like, but we'll see how long the fish-stores can hold out! If anyone out there wants to make some donations, tell them to send their Deviate Fish to Kurasu and I'll get them fried up and cached for the big day."
- Gavin R and his crew were the Tichondrious server taking part in a Talk Like a Pirate day Event in the port of Booty Bay.
- Players reported discovering blood-thirsty pirates 'n pirate camps to do battle with, trinkets that turn your character into a pirate and a game add on that changed everything in the in-game chat window to pirate talk.
- A WoW player from Europe sends us this rundown of TLAPD events and opportunities on the game
- Pirates of the Burning Sea, the official game of Talk Like A Pirate Day 2007, immortalized Cap'n Slappy and Ol' Chumbucket as NPCs, and once again the Pirate Guys turned up in the game around Sept. 19th. Those who logged in to celebrate the holiday partied, talked piratical talk, - and got a very special reward, never before seen within Pirates of the Burning Sea.
- Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean on-line game celebratedTLAPD with a full schedule of events.
- Artix Entertainment put on the pirate in all its on-line games today:
- Kingdom of Loathing, the stick-figure MMORPG, added pirate easter-eggs throughout the game for TLAPD, including such items as Binarrrca, a can of breath spray, commonly used by pirates to make their breath smell nice before they kiss the gunner's daughter. Because, y'know, if you're going to be tied to a cannon and flogged, you don't want the smell of cheap grog on your breath.
- CapCom, the evelopers of a brand-new game, Age of Booty, launched their first public beta test on Talk Like A Pirate Day. Read about it on their development blog - ye can still sign up to play, for free, at FilePlanet !
- Tanga, the puzzle-solving site, warmed up for TLAPD with a daily Pirate Fact courtesy o' Crazy Kids, and a little unofficial Pirate Puzzle contest.
- Stickman Studios is rapidly approaching completion of a new on-line game, Buccaneer: The Pursuit of Infamy and held their first online, multiplayer beta-testing session on Sept. 19.
- The folks at Thought Hammer, an online board game store, put all their pirate themed games on sale for Talk Like A Pirate Day - and they're ran a contest to give away a beauty of a model pirate ship! It's their third annual TLAPD promotion.
- Add Astraware to the game companies running Talk Like A Pirate Day promotions, with great prices on six o' their best pirate-themed games for yer mobile.
- Folks on the Internet game league League of Friends partied like pirates (after a two-week Pirate Days lead-up, no less) and even tourneyed like pirates on Sept. 19
- Geekdad on Wired News rates the top pirate games of all time.
Laugh Like A Pirate
Webcomics celebrate TLAPD:
Other Web sites taking note of TLAPD:
On the air
Radio and TV stations love Talk Like A Pirate Day, and we don't even hear about most of the on-air pirattitude. Some we have heard about:
- Keith Olbermann talked like a pirate during his Sept. 19 Countdown!
- MSNBC's Will Geist at ZeitGeist celebrates by naming the five greatest pirates of all time.
- CNN Headline News had a short segment on TLAPD Friday morning!
- Bob and Tom, the nationally syndicated radio show, were talking like pirates Friday morning (according to a report we received from someone - we kid you not - at the Department of Homeland Security.)
- Our ol' mate Mimi Foxmorton got her moment in th' spotlight on the 19th when she was interviewed by the local Cable News outlet while carousin' with her crew at a tavern in Clay, New York. Watch the video.
- The Wiggles, the fantastically popular children's TV show out of Australia (and home of the infamous Captain Feathersword), promoted TLAPD in its fan club newsletter.
- WDET-FM, Detroit, interviewed Mad Becky Carr of Y!PR, who will teach the host the finer points of pirattitude, on Sept. 18.
- The Drive Time Happy Hour on WSKY 97.3 in Gainesville, Fla, had their hosts talking lie a pirate during their enitre show.
- Oregon Public Radio's Morning Edition hosted interviewed a pair of the BOOM Pirates Thursday morning on the subject of pirate politics (and to promote the Portland Pirate Festival, coinciding with TLAPD weekend)
- Saturday morning from 7-8 CST, the Salmon Dance at Dawn radio show on 88.3 WQNA (Springfield, IL and streaming live on wqna.org) played songs inspired by International Talk Like A Pirate Day.
- WSHU Public Radio, broadcasting o’er Connecticut and Long Island, celebrated with 5 full hours of pirate music and pirate talk.
- On Classical Music on West Virginia Public
Radio, announcer-producer Mona Seghatoleslami included pirate music (and talking like a pirate) for parts of
her show on the 19th.
- WWPV 88.7-FM, Colchester, VT - Capn' Seamus Blunderbuss (aka DJ Seamus, planned a special, three-hour broadcast of sea shanties and other piratical music
Read on for what else happened all over the world...