Pirate glossaries, translators and name generators
NOTE: These links will take you off of our site. We find them interesting, but we’re not responsible for their content.
- A Pirate’s Glossary of Terms – An extensive listing of pirate terms and phrases.
- Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue – Compiled in 1811 bu Captain Francis Grose, purports to define the language of cuthroats, cutpurses and others in the London underworld, but it makes a fine pirate reference book, too!
- Pirate Monkeyness – The site has a Pirate Translator that attempts to translate plain, mundane English into something you could say in a pirate tavern or a brawl or when writing to your pirate penpal. A dictionary of almost 1,200 words and phrases are used, not counting variations on verb tense and plurality, making this translator one of the most comprehensive pirate translators in the world. The site says, “Even if you don’t have need to converse with pirates on a regular basis, this app is invaluable for International Talk Like a Pirate Day, September 19th.”
The site also contains a Pirate Insult Generator.
- Pirate Speak – “Ahoy, matey!” the site’s translator says. “This ‘ere translatin’ device be fer translatin’ proper English to Pirate Speak an’ the reverse, an’ blabberin’ on like a pirate as we pirates do.”
- Cap’n Redpen’s Pirate Translator – This university-based system offers a different take. Click on a variety of English words to make a sentence, and it translates your message into pirate.
Pirate Name Generators
If you need help choosing a pirate name, either of these sites or others on the web can give you some options. But we’ve always said, the best pirate name is the one given you by your crewmates and friends, the people who know you, know you’r strengths and weaknesses, and know the funny stories that could result in a legendary pirate name. Just ask our ol’ pal “Clapeye.” So consider these sites “last resorts” in picking a monicker.
- The original fidius.org “What’s My Pirate Name” generator
- Pirate Name Generator from GangstaName.com